GCCS COVID-19 Updates
Note: Children must be present to receive the meals.
School Closure FAQs
March 6, 2020
Greater Clark County Schools is closely monitoring the announcement and information being released by the media and our state/local agencies. The first confirmed case of COVID-19 in Indiana was announced today; therefore, we are shifting into our next level of preparedness and response protocols.
Greater Clark County Schools is actively taking the following measures:
School Buildings and Buses
• Teaching proper handwashing technique and respiratory etiquette with staff and students
• Daily deep cleaning routines implemented with extra attention given to handrails, doorknobs, desks, and other areas with high rates of direct skin contact
• Working diligently to identify symptoms early to prevent the spread of any illness
• Reiterating handwashing procedures and employee hygiene
• Performing extensive deep cleaning of equipment and utensils
• Limiting self-service food options
• Managers are following a preparedness planning checklist to aide in the prevention of respiratory illnesses
Greater Clark County Schools asks parents/guardians to take the following measures:
• Keep your child home if he/she is sick with any respiratory symptoms, such as cough, fatigue, shortness of breath and/or fever (contact your primary care provider with any questions)
• Remind your child to use proper handwashing technique, cough etiquette, and limit touching their face
• Clean regularly used items, including student backpacks, chromebooks, lunchboxes, jackets/coats, and any other item your student takes back and forth to school
• Greater Clark County Schools is monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak and is in contact with local officials to explore all options for school operations as the situation evolves. This includes measures for school attendance, school events/trips, and educational programming. At this time, all school attendance policies and procedures will be followed as written.
March 4, 2020
Greater Clark County Schools has been closely following recent media reports and information from The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Global efforts are currently underway to contain the spread of the virus and mitigate its impact. The Federal Government and several Indiana governmental agencies are working closely with both national and regional public health partners to respond to this threat.
If you or your child has traveled to China, Japan, Italy, or any other impacted areas in our country within the last 21 days please seek and follow medical advice and monitor your health condition.
Outbreaks like this are always troublesome. Some parents and students might be worried about this virus and how it may impact our schools and communities. Be assured that we are aware of these concerns and are proactively working to insure our schools are safe for all students and staff. The safety of our students and employees is paramount. This is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation and we will provide updated information as it becomes available.
How can parents help?
Our school nurses and staff will be working with students to promote good hygiene and to keep everyone healthy and safe. We also work with our custodial providers to ensure our schools receive thorough cleaning every day. Parents are asked for help in reinforcing healthy practices at home with children.